HOW TO GET STARTED: TIPS, TRICKS, AND PRECAUTIONS
In this section we cover the do’s and don’ts, from how to consume the microdose to the things you may not know you need to consider. Let ‘s first break it down into steps;
Step 1: Prepare
Make sure that whenever you take a microdose it is on an empty stomach- at least three hours since your last meal. This is so that it can be best absorbed into the body. We recommend taking it in the morning shortly after waking up, and at least 30 minutes before eating breakfast.
Step 2: Measuring or opening up the dose
Depending on your preference you either have a pre-measured microdose (our brain fitness) or a jar of truffles that you will measure yourself. While a 1 gram dose is the standard, it will not always be the perfect amount for everyone. We encourage you to play around with quantities until you get an amount that is right for you. Simply measure your dose out or cut open the plastic blister packaging.
Step 3: Consuming the dose
To take the dose you can either chew it or make a tea. We do not recommend swallowing the chunks directly. If you opt for the chew method make sure you chew until you feel no more chunks- it should feel like a paste in the mouth, then swallow- if you are not a fan of the taste (you’re not alone there!) You can chew with a small amount of dark chocolate at the same time. If you make a tea, chop the truffle into very small pieces and add to warm water and a tea bag, seep for 10-15 minutes then drink everything. Avoid consuming sugar with the dose as this will lower the effects.
Step 4: Wait to eat
It is important to give the microdose time to get absorbed into the body, if there is food in the stomach it can be digested with the dose- soaking up the psilocybin and leaving you with little to no effect. Moreover, it can cause nausea to eat soon after a microdose.
Step 5: Taking another dose
We recommend following a routine designed by Dr. Fadiman, where you consume a dose every three days, the schedule looks like the following;
This is a recommended protocol as it helps to lower the rate at which you build a tolerance- meaning you can microdose for longer without having to have a reset. With this protocol you can microdose for 6-8 weeks, after which it is recommended to have at least a two week break to give the brain and body enough time to reset to a baseline tolerance.
Taking a break from psilocybin allows the brain to reset its tolerance levels. When you take a break from psilocybin, your brain has a chance to readjust its sensitivity to serotonin, which can reduce the amount of psilocybin needed to achieve the desired effects.
By allowing the brain to reset its tolerance levels, you can experience the benefits of psilocybin without increasing their risk of negative side effects.
Step 6: Be mindful and patient
Microdosing is designed to give the user sub-perceptual effects, meaning it will not have the same effect on the body as a full dose of psychedelics, the effect is rather gradual over time. It can be helpful to keep some kind of diary to track the changes microdoses brings for you. It is also important to note that for some individuals it can take multiple doses before effects are noticed, and for others a single dose will produce noticeable effects, be patient when it comes to finding your 'sweet spot'.
Tips and tricks
- Choosing a protocol: there are many different protocols for microdosing. While we recommend the Fadiman protocol, you can always explore other routines.
- Any Psilocybe truffle can be used to microdose, but we generally recommend to use Psilocybe Tampenensis. This is a truffle that when used in a recreational manner causes a mind broadening trance during which the user often experiences deep philosophical thought. Users also often feel more creative and focused during their trance. Most importantly, there is a very low chance for experiencing visual hallucinations. This means that if you accidentally take too much, it is extremely unlikely to cause any visual impairment.
- Keep a journal: Record your microdosing experiences and how they affect your mood, productivity, creativity, and other aspects of your life.
- Choose a suitable environment: Find a comfortable and safe environment where you can relax and focus on your experience.
- Consider your intentions: Set your intentions for your microdosing experience, such as enhancing creativity or reducing anxiety.
- Avoid mixing substances: Avoid combining microdosing with other substances, including alcohol and recreational drugs.
- While the evidence for the benefits of microdosing is increasing rapidly, it's essential to keep in mind that it is not a cure-all and should be utilised as an additional element to complement a healthy lifestyle
- You should always consult with a medical professional before beginning
- Individuals who are currently taking medications, especially SSRIS are urged to consult their health care provider as there are can be increased risks for this demographic.
- If you start to develop undesired side effects that are negatively impacting your life or others around you then it is advisable to stop microdosing